Friday, October 23, 2020

Three times the Charm by JoAn Burdick Gottlieb



 The year was 1950 and I was going to Anaheim High School - The AHS band was set to be the first to open the Halloween Parade and I was excited to be twirling my baton while leading the way. Mr. Ted Born who was the leader of the Elks Club band asked to speak to me-(  The Elks Club was known  then for having a fabulous band with many adult musicians ) Mr. Born told me he would like me to lead their band in the parade and I explained my obligation with leading the Anaheim High Band- He thought about it for a moment and then said "Jo, I think we can do this because I'm sure I can get you a ride from the end of the parade back to the beginning again if you are game" Knowing it was three miles beginning to end and I was in good shape I agreed. During this same year I was giving baton lessons to around twenty girls in exchange for dancing lessons from Dorothy Jo Swanson (A well respected dance teacher from Corona del Mar) She called around the same time and asked if I would lead the " Dorothy and Jo Majorettes" thru the Halloween Parade this year as well ! With many thanks to the Anaheim Police Department who provided the rides from parade end back to parade beginning , I started out leading the amazing Anaheim High Band then got back in the nick of time to the step off with the Elks Club at  parade middle. Then with another APD ride assist, I just made it to lead the "Dorothy and Jo Majorettes" marching up the route to end the parade. Both on the second and third times going down the three mile parade route I heard people shouting "Hey Jo didn't we just see you?' which I thought was quite funny. I think I might be the only person to have marched in the Anaheim Halloween Parade three times in one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment