Tuesday, October 6, 2020

 Year 2000 Anaheim Halloween Parade 

By Annie Kupfrian 


In the year 2000, the Anaheim Halloween parade was a daytime event.  I helped my daughter, Anneliese, enter the children's costume contest that year. Seeing all the Capri Sun drinks in my refrigerator, I imagined and created a large Capri Sun wearable costume. She and I worked together on her costume.  I had the use of an enlarging machine and a laminator. I took a standard empty Capri Sun drink pouch and enlarged the label quite a bit, maybe about 400 to 500%. Then my daughter colored the entire label with bright-colored markers. We pasted the large label onto numerous sheets of foil and then I ran it through a laminator. I taped the front and back together and cut holes for the hands and head. I created a straw from Goldenrod colored paper and inserted it into a piece of clear laminate. Much to our surprise, Anneliese won first prize in her age category. She was so excited, received a big beautiful blue ribbon and a $50 bill. At age 10, she had never seen a $50 bill before and her eyes just lit up. I told her she could spend it anyway she wanted. I think she bought a game of some sort with the money. All the costume winners were invited to ride in the parade on a “hay ride” that afternoon on a flatbed pickup. Anneliese needed to be accompanied by an adult, so her dad, Tom, joined her for this fun honor. A local TV station recorded the parade. Needless to say, I have fond memories of working on a one-of-a-kind costume together with Anneliese and sharing in the excitement when she won first prize.  



No comments:

Post a Comment